Translate

Tuesday 31 May 2016

Bank Holiday Pie

The festival of Whit Sunday was originally a combination of Pentecost (the 7th Sunday after Easter) and Beltane (the Pagan start of Summer) and is now commemorated with a long Bank Holiday weekend the last weekend in May.  The schools combine it with the Half Term Holiday so the children get the entire week off and not just Monday.

As is traditional to start the English Summer, it will be cold and rainy.  We had a thunderstorm last night.  The Small Boy and I did manage to visit The Plant Man and buy some fuchsias and bedding plants though.

And I did some stitching while watching Floss Tube (or Flaaaaaas Tube as the Large Boy calls it.  When he's not saying "Nifty Needle Nannies" a la Katie the Stash Queen!).  I am continuing with Little Snap Dragon, right down to the bottom of his tail.  Thankfully this area has much less confetti so progress is quicker.  All of the tail stitched is just one colour so far:

stitched on 32 count Evening Sky Murano by Crafty Kitten

And here is the whole piece with a tape measure for size.  I am not sure if you can see those numbers but that is roughly 12 inches or 30 cm from the metal tip to the red number near the tail.


Lots of progress on Just Nan's My Fair Ladybird too:

stitched on 28 count evenweave

And now the special Whitsun pie:



You can see that Snapdragon is way out in front this month but Snowy Cottage had 14 days from last month.  Once again, there are more than 31 days because some days I stitched on two designs.

Finally, after last month's blow out I wasn't intending to buy anything this month.  Until Brooke Nolan announced a special May Day Sale, everything in her Etsy store half price.  These two fell into my cart!  Hubby's niece is getting married later this year and loves sugar skulls so these two will be perfect for her.






23 comments:

Tiffstitch said...

Lovely work on Snapdragon and very cool skulls!

Bea said...

Goodness, he IS long, isn't he? Would never have guessed from the picture on the chart. Ladybird looks good - loving the colours. A ladybird is what we call a ladybug, right? Small flying insect, red wings with black spots? Great sale find!

Linda said...

Nice progress Jo. Love your new stash.

Linda

Mini said...

The dragon just keeps growing...lol . I'm thinking of indulging in some stash acquisition as I have finished a project now :). Last time I bought some supplies was in Dec.

Preeti said...

You made a good progress on both the projects :)

Mii Stitch said...

Surprisingly tall dragon! It looks stunning already.

Christine said...

Baby dragon is growing up SO fast :)
I love those sugar skull designs

The Knitting Cross Stitcher said...

Ahhh ...little Snap Dragon:) he's coming along beautifully.

KimM said...

Your dragon looks great. Good stash additions.
xxx

Kerryp77 said...

Great progress Jo, the just nan design is so delicate

demeter83 said...

Your little snap dragon looks gorgeous, I loved mine when I was working on it!
And thank you for the offer of letting me test if you're seeing my comments

Kaisievic said...

I still have to get myself onto watching Flosstube, it seems like so much fun! Your dragon is looking darling and I need to get myself a piece of that pie - lol! Enjoy the week off with the boys.

Sarah in Stitches said...

Lovely progress! Your Snapdragon is coming along so quickly :D

Renee said...

Your Little Snap Dragon is adorable! Beautiful work.

diamondc said...

Jo: That dragon is so sweet, I love the colors of the threads.

Blessings
Catherine

Heather said...

Wow beautiful progress! He's really coming together!

Thoeria said...

Your not so little fellow is looking lovely Jo! Looking at your pie...you've certainly been busy!
Why "Whit" Sunday? Does the term have special meaning?

Justine said...

Your dragon looks lovelier every time I see it! Great progress. I love the sugar skulls, the groom with his top hat is hilarious.

Brigitte said...

Hahaha, I hear your boys on "Nifty Needle Nanny" and also "flaaaas tube". The needle nannies always make me laugh when I listen to Katie's videos, lol. Another one would be "needle minders by Minding my Needles", lol. Before watching floss tube I didnt even know about needle minders and what they could be good for.

gominam said...

Beautiful dragon progress, didn't imagine it was that long. Watching flosstube too when I have time, informative and entertaining:)

Leonore Winterer said...

Great progress on your dragon and the cute little Just Nan pattern. Those skulls are adorable, I'm really looking forward to you stitching those up :)

Julie said...

He's a charming dragon and quite big for a baby....

Katie said...

Beautiful progress. Love your new purchases.