Translate

Saturday 7 May 2016

The Joyeous and Jubilant Alphabet Jamboree

It's the first Saturday of the month so it's time for detention!

"They only met online, but it changed their lives forever"



I think most of you know the lovely enigmatic Chiara who blogs at The Grey Tail?  We were chatting via email a while back and between us came up with the idea of an A-Z language challenge.  We batted some ideas around and are calling it the The Alphabet Club.  Chiara has the full details on that link but basically she will post a link-up post on the first Saturday of each month (Saturday being detention day in the film) reminding us of the month's letter and we will all link up with themed things, from stitching to designers and local customs.


J is for Jack-in-the-Box  from A Dark Alphabet designed by Julie and Becky's Note of Friendship blog.

Here's what Becky said about this block at the time:


"Depending on the country, the story varies a bit in it's telling, but most involve a devil! In French the jack-in-the-box is called a "diable en boîte", which means "boxed devil".  One of the first jack-in-the-boxes was pictured holding a boot with a devil in it. Some believe that the name "Jack" was a reference to the devil, referred to as a jack - is this also where we get Jack-o-lantern?"

J is for Japanese Embroidery as shown in the Brooke's Book's Stitcher's Alphabet piece I am stitching for the Alphabet Club SAL:

stitched on 28 count afghan 

I found this lovely quote on a website dedicated to Japanese Embroidery:

"The embroidery not only reflects the state of the inner heart, but it also reveals the embroiderer’s lifestyle in the way he or she selects colors and uses the various techniques. There is no way that a vague and superficial life will create work that will touch people’s hearts."

If you think about our stitching, the pieces which are a journey or have a personal meaning are the most interesting ones to blog about and which attract the most comments.  Both of my first two pictures have a story behind them which elevate them to something more than simply attractive decorations.  One was a gift for a friend, as part of a group project for her church and the other was a gift from a friend, a connection across the ocean.  A friend who could do with some prayers right now, so say a quick one for Shirlee please.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed her new house works out, which is making stitching difficult!

Here are two Joyful pieces:

Joy from Jeanette Douglas
from JCS Christmas Ornie Special 2010

Elizabeth Designs Joyous Noel
Joyous Noel by Elizabeth Designs

Just Cross Stitch magazine is one which will be very familiar to my American followers and probably most of my RoW ones too.  (RoW = Rest of World, an insurance expression for a country which did not fit into one of the main categories!).  According to my Happy Dance Blog I have stitched 21 different designs from JCS;  14 Hallowe'en and 7 Christmas themed designs.


Designers beginning with J is such an easy one - two of my favourites; Just Nan and Joan Elliott.

Here are the three Typography designs from Just Nan that I have completed, only Summer to complete the set:


And here are four of Joan Elliot's monthly designs from the Year of Magical Stitching charts:

only another eight to do!

Both those series are part of my WIPocalypse 16 series in '16 list.  I also have Jannlynn's Gathering Honey on my list.  Last seen here:

Day 20 of the DUCJC 2015

And a completed J is for Joanne from Nora Corbett:


Another favourite J designer is JBW, I stitched a Year of Kitties in 2013 and here are January, June and July:


And now on to my Blog Roll.  Several of my favourite bloggers begin with J:

(and the Lighthouse-Loving Jeremiah's Grandmom too)

(our wonderful artistic French friend)



(the ever-cheerful Jacquie)

Just Stitching Along (with Krista)


**********************************

Finally, one more J which is me!  I will be celebrating the Years of Jo's Life in September with a special blog hop.  I am hoping to get one blogger for each year of my life.  Which is a lot!  So if you'd like to take part just leave a comment or email me.  I will allocate each participant a year and a life event which they will blog about plus show a photo of something stitched they think will appeal to me.  I have such varied tastes, that shouldn't be too difficult!


28 comments:

Justine said...

You certainly do have eclectic tastes! So many gorgeous things to admire here, but Joyeux Noel really jumped out at me. I also love your Just Nan seasons and if course J is for Joanne (and Justine!)

KimM said...

Jo, Just a Jolly, Joyous way to Journal your Js 😀
Loved your post .....and the quote from Japanese Embroidery is spot on. It's exactly how I feel about my stitched creations...and know my Stitching Sisters feel the same.
Looking forward to your special blog hop, my friend.
xxx

Tiffstitch said...

Excellent post and title and so many beautiful finishes!! And WIPs too.

Anthea said...

so much amazing stitching Leonie... a lot of time put into them all!
Jolly wonderful!

Julie said...

Jumping for Joy at this post, lots of lovely J projects. I was only looking through my JN designs this morning and trying to decided which to choose to have a JN fix soon.

jocondine said...

I have learned a lot about Joan Elliot's so lovely stitchings and JCS Magazine charts visiting your blog. And Just Nan updates are a regular event I like to found in posts. xxx

Mini said...

Jo, you have must have enjoyed writing this post with your fav J designers ,your initial and all the "Joy'' stitching. Lovely stitching as always.

Carolyn said...

Jo
Love all your J's that you have completed. Thanks for the information on the Jack in the Box. I never gave it much thought on the meaning of other countries. I need to join the Alphabet Club. One of my all time favorite movies EVER is The Breakfast Club. Please sign me up for the Blog Hop. It's going to be a fun one!

Linda said...

What a fun post Jo. I love all of your J finishes. Fun info on the Jack in the Box. I thought it was just a toy.

Linda

Kerryp77 said...

Jolly Jo's Joyous jewels! Fab post Jo, it must have been hard to narrow down to those stitchery's posted. I remember you stitching the cats. I didn't realise I'd been following you for that long

The Knitting Cross Stitcher said...

Lovley post,full of fantastic J stitching.I will have to look up Joy by Jeanette Douglas in my JCS files, I love that one.

Unknown said...

A beautiful selection of stitching for J.

gracie said...

This year of Jo blog hop sounds interesting...I think it would be fun as your hops always are.

Bea said...

Beautiful projects, both completed and WIPs. I love to see the round up each month.

Barb said...

What a wonderful collection of J's!!

Rose Threadandpassion said...

love them all!
R

gominam said...

Gorgeous J stitching! Thanks for sharing that interesting Japanese embroidery quote:)

Christine said...

Jolly good post Jo!
I've got a couple of Japanese embroidery books, I must break them out and have a go sometime

Desiree Ehleiter said...

Totally enjoyed seeing all of your J stitching! Relaly enjoyed the background on the Japanese embroidery and the Jack in the Box history.

Kaisievic said...

Wonderful "J" post, Jo. I always love to see a showcase of your stitching finishes. My favourite this post - Joyeux Noel, I think - it looks stunning in its frame. xxx

Heather said...

Awesome picks jo! I love the monthly kitties that was clever :). I didn't know that about jack-in-the-boxes that's pretty freaky!

Brigitte said...

Love the two J letters, Jack in the box and the Japanese girl. And of course Nora's J Fairy. Just beautiful. Your Joyful finishes look so great and I love the stories behind them.
You are right, finding designers starting with J isn't as difficult as finding ones with some other letters. And the really difficult ones might still be ahead of us, lol. Great idea to include the JCS magazine and to show the pieces coming from it that you have already stitched. Great J post.

Angela said...

So many gorgeous finishes :)

Stitching Noni said...

Wow... what a wonderful "J" post! All those gorgeous J finishes you have tucked away! JCS does have some gorgeous designs in their magazines... :O)
Great post!
hugs xx

Unknown said...

wow.. what many great "J" post.. impressive stitching Jo. and I hope I can come around to join your Sep. blog hop. Sorry that I have been missing out and not being able to do many fun stuff which you host. I hope this craziness will stop soon and I wish to join you ladies soon. ;)

Sarah in Stitches said...

Awesome post! And of course "J" is for Jo :D

Leonore Winterer said...

Great post! Lots to share for J with Just Nan and Joan Elliot alone, and you found so many more wonderful things ^_^

The Crafty Princess said...

Well of course J is a big one all the talented people start with J - right Jo?? Loved looking at all of these and it was great to take a stroll down Memory Lane. I still have my Stunner card on my Crafty Friends wall in my Craft room and so you are always on my mind when I stitch. Which is a good thing in case you were wondering LOL!!
xoxo Alicia